What Congress has become in my lifetime is a body that spends most of their time developing ways to stop progress and develop political actions to divides the people instead of focusing on progress. I researched their responsibilities and found the following.
1. Congress is the legislative, or lawmaking, branch of our national government. It shares power with the president and the Supreme Court. The writers of the U.S. Constitution thought Congress was so important, they listed it first! Congress has two parts, the Senate and the House of Representatives.
One thing is certain, Congress has lost its importance of being first as they have defaulted their power and the Presidents use executive powers to act to either help or hurt the people. We just had a President that did more to divide the people than every enemy we have had in our history. Now we have a President that is trying to unite the people and he is being combated by the Federal Courts, the Supreme Court and both the Democrats and Republicans in Congress. The people elected Trump to unite the people and the other two branches of government have stopped him from doing exactly what he promised to do when he was elected. Congress is dysfunctional and so divided it only debates and gets nothing done.
2. Congress has authority over financial and budgetary matters, through the enumerated power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States.
The Senate has not approved a budget in so long it should have its powers removed. If you look at the IRS alone the collection of taxes alone has become a major cost of governing and the people can no longer do their own taxes. I have a Masters in Business and I have been unable to do my taxes for over 25 years. The IRS has grown a lot faster than the economy by issuing 70,000 pages of rules that are changed daily. Trump promised a new tax system that would simplify the tax system and it has been over nine months for nothing to happen in Congress to help the people.
3. Congress has five main functions: lawmaking, representing the people, performing oversight, helping constituents, and educating the public.
Lawmaking created little while lawbreaking has become commonplace in our cities and many States. Federal Judges now make law, Our last President, Governors and Mayors openly ignore laws and nothing happens. Trump called Washington DC a “Swamp”. When a Federal Judge in Hawaii can make laws by decree the Swamp is a morass likely nationwide?
How many of those who read this have been helped by your Congressperson?
As far as educating the public Congress can’t even educate its members. The recent debacle over a Trump phone call is proof positive Congress has no control over its own members.
4. Through legislative debate and compromise, the U.S. Congress makes laws that influence our daily lives. It holds hearings to inform the legislative process, conducts investigations to oversee the executive branch, and serves as the voice of the people and the states in the federal government.
Now we get to the red meat. Congress has demonstrated that debate and compromise are two things that have become totally inoperative today. Congress has made laws that have devastated the people and our daily lives. Congress holds hearings to give face time to individuals who consistently prove they can’t ever agree that white is white or right is right. There are so many Congresspersons begging for face time on the networks and in hearings I feel sure all 535 members have a hairdresser and a makeup professional to make sure their lipstick, powder and hair look professional.
5. What are the three powers of the Congress? Enumerated powers, or the expressed powers, are powers the Constitution explicitly grants to Congress, including the power to declare war and levy taxes.
I for one doubt that if we were attacked today by North Korea that Congress would be debating the issue to declare war for six months and the vote would be 52 to 48 in the Senate. Even the RINO Republicans would all hopefully vote to declare war. Well I have always been an optimists. If Ms Collins, Mr McCain, Ms Murkowski or Mr Paul rebelled against war, North Korea might gain control of the entire west coast states and Alaska. Maybe we should throw in Arizona, Illinois and New York?
What America needs first and now are jobs, jobs and jobs. Putting our welfare army to work will solve the National debt issue. Only term limits will correct the Congressional issues.
C Brewer 10-21-17
A Bright New Day.
Kick in that marble headstone, for he wore a coat of grey.
He has no right to rest in peace upon our bright new day.
Dismantle that old statue; for he battled for the south.
And don’t you stand against us, either join or shut your mouth.
Knock down that bloody obelisk; you know he owned a slave;
and dump his wretched remnants deep inside an unmarked grave.
The one that wore a wheelchair, let us purge him from the earth,
His new deal was internment for the sin of Asian birth.
And every war memorial is next upon our list.
for the innocent collateral demands they not exist.
Blow up that Black Hills mountain, as we feel the rush no more;
for a rough riding monger killing Spaniards by the score.
The other peddled genocide against the native Sioux,
and bondage is the stain upon the loathsome other two.
Rip up the iron railway from our sea to shining sea.
The Chinaman was chattel, as he toiled slavishly.
Incinerate the White House, and then bury its remains;
for some of its construction was completed wearing chains.
There is no rest until our noble cause is finally through.
And that is when we burn the flag adorned with red and blue.
And now that we are at it, let us cross the briny sea,
and topple every monument where righteous disagree.
The Roman Colosseum, for the Christians that would bleed.
The Arc de Triomphe glorifies a tyrant’s bloody greed.
The Taj Mahal for celebrating executed kin.
The tower up in London for the torture held within.
We shall tear down Chichen Itza for its human sacrifice.
The Vatican for patriarchal view of paradise..
And all the German buildings that were built before the war.
And every Ancient fortress that still stands upon a shore.
The Pyramids an edifice to power over serf.
The China Wall a racist, xenophobic love of turf.
The world is full of evil, we shall right it with our force.
And everyone is guilty….. Well, except for us of course.
My great friend Jim Heck shared this with me and it had to be posted and make my day. I would have added one more verse.
We can all move back to Africa in the freedom we have found.
As there is nothing left to burn and loot on American ground.
What Has ‘The Donald’ Done for Us Lately?
(in addition to tweeting and shaking up the White House)
1.Supreme Court Judge Gorsuch
2.59 missiles fired into ISIS strongholds in Syria
3.He took us out of TPP
4.Illegal immigration is now down 70%(the lowest in 17 years)
5.Consumer confidence highest since 2000 at index 125.6
6.Mortgage applications for new homes rise to a 7-year high
7.Arranged 20% tarriff on soft lumber from Canada
8.Bids for border wall are well underway
9.Pulled out of the lopsided Paris accord agreement
10.Keystone pipeline approved
11.NATO allies boost spending by 4.3%
12.VA can now terminate bad employees
13.Allowing private healthcare choices for veterans
14.More than 600,000 new jobs created
15.Median household income at a 7-year high
16.Stock market at the highest level in history
17. China agreed to American import of beef
18. $89 billion saved in Obama regulation rollbacks
19. Rollback of Obama regulations that had strangled coal miningindustry
20. Dropped MOAB in ISIS territory
21. Travel ban reinstated
22. Executive order for religious freedom
23. Jump started NASA
24. $600 million cut from UN peacekeeping budget
25. Targeting of MS13 gangs
26. Deporting violent illegal immigrants
27. Signed 41 bills to date
28. Created a commission on child trafficking
29. Created a commission on voter fraud
30. Created a commission for opioids addiction
31. Giving power to states to drug test unemployment recipients
32. Unemployment lowest since may 2007
33. Historic Black College University initiative
34. Women In Entrepreneurship Act
35. Created an office or illegal immigrant crime victims
36. Reversed Dodd-Frank regulations
37. Repealed DOT ruling which would have taken power away from local governments for infrastructure planning
38. Order to stop crime against law enforcement
39. End of DAPA program
40. Stopped companies from moving out of America
41. Promoted businesses to create American jobs
42. Encouraged country to once again ‘Buy American and hire American 43.Reducing regulations by 2 for every 1 created
44.Review of all trade agreements to make sure they are America first
45.Apprentice program instated
46.Highest manufacturing surge in 3 years
47.$78 billion reinvestment from major businesses like Exxon, Bayer, Apple, SoftBank, and Toyota have been pledged
48.Denied FBI a new building
49.$700 million saved with F-35 renegotiation
50.Saves $22 million by reducing white house payroll
51.Dept of treasury reports a $182 billion surplus for April 2017
(2nd largest in history)
52.Negotiated the release of 6 US humanitarian workers held captive in Egypt
53.Gas prices lowest in more than 12 years
54.Signed an Executive Order to promote energy Independence and economic growth
55.Has already accomplished more to stop government interference into people’s lives than any President in the history of America
56.President Trump has worked with Congress to pass more legislation in his first 100 days than any President since Truman
57.Has given head executive of each branch 6-month window starting March 15, 2017, to trim the fat and restructure and improve efficiency of their branch.(Note: Observe the pushback, the leaks, and the lies as entrenched Bureaucrats refuse to go away quietly)
58.Last, refused to accept his ‘president’ paychecks; donated all to Veterans issues.
The media would have you believe he’s done nothing!